A very good article comparing 3 different implementations of XForms has been published this week by Infoworld. If you notice the ranking, DENG has the highest of all of them :)
It's nice to see that this great work by Claus is receiving some recognition.
We are waiting now for his next project UGO (the next version of DENG ++ ). I hope we can taste it any time soon (any word on this Claus?).
Wishing the best for the DENG team :)

If you have a site that uses Flash and ColdFusion, don't forget to submit it at Powered by Detroit Flash/CFM Contest. You only have a few days left until February 1st.

The available categories are:

  • Application
  • Art
  • Experimental
  • Technical Merit
  • Video

We'll also be speaking at the conference in the server side track. Our topic will be ColdFusion Flash Forms in Depth. So if you are interested in knowing about the new Blackstone Flash Forms, you are invited to attend.

I installed the secure certificate, browsed the website with all the browsers I have, everything worked fine. But guess what, I missed one small section of the website when testing it with IE. Since I don’t use it, I never noticed anything. I got a call from the customer saying that it was not working, but only when using IE. What? Flash not working with IE? I am used to CSS not working in IE, but Flash?

Making a long story short, the fact was that the movie wouldn’t load under https, but would load fine under http. I finally found that all the files under that directory were not getting cached thanks to the content expiration setting in IIS, and that, combined with SSL, made IE not able to load the Flash movie.

Changing the content expiration setting from “immediately” to a small period of time solved the problem.

As many of you may know, Macromedia released the new ActionScript 2.0 API for Flash Remoting. It is a big step forward. You will find a lot of changes in the syntax and most of the old syntax is deprecated, but they are all improvements. We have now a better, cleaner and more flexible API than we had in the previous version. The most important feature is the documentation; they did a great job (Hopefully, they will do the same with everything else they release).

Along with the Remoting components, an article written by Mike Kollen and I has been published on Devnet. It is about the new version of Trio Motor using the Remoting API v2. It is the first of a series of three and focuses on the small Work Order Status widget.

The article explains the basics of the new API using some of the Remoting classes like Service, PendingCall, Recordset, DataGlue, etc. What it does not cover is the connector component. If someone is interested in an example of the connector, I’ve got good news for you. I made a version of the widget using the connector but we later decided not use it for the article. You can take a look at it. The only thing that you may need to change is the GatewayUrl of the connector so that it is your own default gateway. Right now it is set to localhost but you can change it manually in the component parameters.

In the next two articles we'll make the big jump to the whole Trio Motor application and we’ll go deeper into Object Oriented Programming, so stay tuned.

Remoting components
Devnet article
Trio Motor Connector Files

I wonder if this is a bug.
This is the scenario: you have a TextField to which you have applied a TextFormat. Then you try to add some text to the TextField. There are two possible outcomes of doing that: if it is an HTML TextField, the formatting is preserved after inserting the additional text, as you would expect. But if it is a non-HTML TextField, all formatting is lost when the text is added.
An example of this:
After pressing "Add Text", the String "is a long" loses its formatting in the non-HTML TextField
This is the code:
t = "this is a long text bla bla bla bla bla";

tfield1.html = true;
tfield1.border = true;
tfield1.htmlText = t;

tfield2.html = false;
tfield2.border = true;
tfield2.text = t;

var tformat = new TextFormat();
tformat.bold = true;
tformat.italic = true;

tfield1.setTextFormat( 4 ,15, tformat );
tfield2.setTextFormat( 4 ,15, tformat );

but.onRelease = function()
{ tfield1.htmlText += " more text "; tfield2.htmlText += " more text "; }